Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Top Secret

I did another painting after the Sierras one, but it's a gift so for now it's top secret. I feel confident that the recipient will be delighted. I will post photos soon....

With almost half on my November paintings selling (thanks SO much to those who purchased) I decided to buy a few more pastels. Unlike oil painting where you can mix color on your palette, pastels must be layered on the painting itself. Getting started in pastels is more expensive at first because you need a good selection, and those beautiful color drenched sticks aren't cheap! When I first started my pastel painter friend Sonya Johnson gave me some great advice, get some NuPastels, a half stick set of Senneliers, and the Mount Vision Thunderstorm Gray set. They were great to get started with. I added some Unisons, and some Terry Ludwigs (the dark "eggplant" he sells is something everyone seems to use. Today I ordered some more Mount Visions using a handmade color chart I bought from Dakota Pastels. Fingers crossed I finally have the sky blues, sagebrush, and red rock colors I have been wanting.

Some girls like chocolates, some jewelry, but for me this is the shiz :)



UPDATE: here is the finished surprise painting for my niece, her beloved mustang mare "Bug":



Katelyn loved it and promptly hung it up in cowgirl fashion:






No comments:

Post a Comment